Big meeting at work this week so only two days interning:
I had a stack of books to go in the LACC but bib records weren’t in Connexion to export to Aleph due to them be very new and a bit specialized for Latin American collections. Works with no Connexion bib record were called 0-OCLCs. Today was the day to learn the 0-OCLC procedures.
First search by title, with just author and filter title then even search by ISBN number (I was discouraged from doing this) just in case I didn’t quite grab the correct title or author since many were in Spanish, German, and French (my 3.5 years of Spanish and 1 semester of German from the 1990s came back slowly) . If not found in Connexion, create a provisional bib record in Aleph, as well as an item and holding record. File in a special spot for an original cataloger to make a bib record in Connexions and save over the provisional bib record in Aleph.
We moved right along to gift books today. Most were older books which many times meant multiple Connexion bib records. Several had pre-existing Aleph records, but it was vexing when I would find an Aleph record but there was a better Connexion record; not allowed to overwrite the Aleph record as it’s shared across schools. Argh!
ALA Conference is next week so I imagine I’ll be doing more of the same. It does help to be able to pull from multiple entry types.