Internship: July 10-14

Getting into original cataloging this week:

July 11:

Today I was tasked with upgrading OCLC bib records to RDA standards. Several books were chosen from the works recently searched, including some that I searched, that had not-so-great bib records. No call numbers, no subject headings, 260s instead of 264s, etc. Shouldn’t be too bad; I’ve searched through dozens of records recently and have some familiarity with making call numbers from my LS500 course. That class was a year ago though, so wasn’t as clear as it could have been. I searched the internet a bit for some familiar tools from LS500 and printed good examples of RDA records from the RDA toolkit, as well as a list of MARC21 records from the Library of Congress MARC webpage to help with indicators and subfield codes. I got through three books in four hours. Boy there are a lot of codes.

July 12:

The three books I updated yesterday were reviewed by my supervisor. The codes, indicators, and subfields were pretty good but got dinged for periods, colons, and semi-colons that go at the end of each set of subfield phrases. It seemed almost random in some cases. My supervisor is hoping that the punctuation goes away in the future with BibFrame. One of my books was an adaption of another work that was originally in a different language, requiring multiple lesser-used MARC records. It took some time for me to remember call number creation. We didn’t do creation from nothing; ended up searching for similar works and using the classmarks from those and comparing to other similar works to copy and paste. Cuttered using the cataloging calculator (much easier than using the cutter table from class).

July 13:

Met with an original cataloger to update records and even make original records. So excited! Call number creation then assigning subject headings. We looked up similar works to have call numbers to consider, then looked up each classmark in consideration in the Classification Web website to double-check it being the best number to use. Cuttered with the cataloging calculator. Then came subject headings. The books in hand were in Spanish so with a little help from Google Translate picked a couple of possible SHs. Searched for other works with those same possible SHs to see what they used. This helped with getting the classmark a little more specific as well. By the end of the day, made my first original cataloging entry! Overlayed into Aleph and updated the holding record with its new call number. Even labeled the book with a barcode sticker and stamped and wrote it all up. I’ll work on a couple more next week, then catalog non-books and hopefully have a look into serials briefly.

Image may contain: text

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s