Internship: July 24-28

Final week!

July 25: For my final week, I get to practice all the extra MaRC codes associated with CDs and DVDs. DVDs are today.

RDA Toolkit to the rescue again! There are some very handy examples of MaRC records for audio and video discs. I printed those out, then searched for the items in hand. Though the toolkit examples were a good base, there were several items that were not in the example that many searched records had: 518 (to use with 033) for date/time/place of events (many of my items were concert recordings), 024 for UPC (or other) codes, 306 for playing time (which is also listed in the 2 or 3 other spots), 511 (notes on performers), 505 (partial contents – a song listing), and 546 (to use with 041) for language notes.

Other new things: DVDs and CDs have Publisher numbers. Didn’t know that. No regular call numbers for UF Aleph; must get ascension number to use as call number. Add 540 MaRC code for “Film only for personal use…”

July 27:

CDs today. As mentioned, most were recordings of people’s concerts. Something odd I found while searching was that there could be several bibliographic records of an artist with the same album title, but the concert event date will be different. So had to watch out for that.

Other than that, I got this. Several folks from the office signed a card wishing me luck. Great bunch of folks; I’m really glad I was able to work with them. Even got an offer to have a letter of recommendation written up. 🙂

Mission accomplished.

Internship July 17-21

July 18:

Practiced more with originals but this time started the record by myself so the cataloger could check my work afterwards. Got a book (they’re ALL in Spanish; every grabs the English ones first before I get there), search it to see if someone else already made a record (happened a couple times!), and if not find a similar work to derive from. Easy, I got this. OK, I can read a few words, it’s about such and such. Look up the call number that copied over. Meh, might be something else. Subject headings might be this so looked those up. Spent an hour trying to find the call number for the keywords I thought might be subject headings. Cataloger comes over and clicks “Enhanced Classification Browser” in ClassWeb. Boom the keywords are miraculously found. Argh! Spent almost three hours on one book.

July 19: More originals practice. This time created person authority records for a couple of the authors of a book I was working on. Score! Made an authority record! I can see where that would take hours as well if the name was fairly common. Mine weren’t so the cataloger said I could.

July 20: More originals – today ended with a book in a volume set so got to put in some new MaRC records for series titles, find out if they were traced. Only managed to do 4 originals this week, but it got quicker as I went through the process. Next week: non-print cataloging.

 

 

Libguide for punctuation

http://guides.uflib.ufl.edu/ufaleph/punctuation

Internship: July 10-14

Getting into original cataloging this week:

July 11:

Today I was tasked with upgrading OCLC bib records to RDA standards. Several books were chosen from the works recently searched, including some that I searched, that had not-so-great bib records. No call numbers, no subject headings, 260s instead of 264s, etc. Shouldn’t be too bad; I’ve searched through dozens of records recently and have some familiarity with making call numbers from my LS500 course. That class was a year ago though, so wasn’t as clear as it could have been. I searched the internet a bit for some familiar tools from LS500 and printed good examples of RDA records from the RDA toolkit, as well as a list of MARC21 records from the Library of Congress MARC webpage to help with indicators and subfield codes. I got through three books in four hours. Boy there are a lot of codes.

July 12:

The three books I updated yesterday were reviewed by my supervisor. The codes, indicators, and subfields were pretty good but got dinged for periods, colons, and semi-colons that go at the end of each set of subfield phrases. It seemed almost random in some cases. My supervisor is hoping that the punctuation goes away in the future with BibFrame. One of my books was an adaption of another work that was originally in a different language, requiring multiple lesser-used MARC records. It took some time for me to remember call number creation. We didn’t do creation from nothing; ended up searching for similar works and using the classmarks from those and comparing to other similar works to copy and paste. Cuttered using the cataloging calculator (much easier than using the cutter table from class).

July 13:

Met with an original cataloger to update records and even make original records. So excited! Call number creation then assigning subject headings. We looked up similar works to have call numbers to consider, then looked up each classmark in consideration in the Classification Web website to double-check it being the best number to use. Cuttered with the cataloging calculator. Then came subject headings. The books in hand were in Spanish so with a little help from Google Translate picked a couple of possible SHs. Searched for other works with those same possible SHs to see what they used. This helped with getting the classmark a little more specific as well. By the end of the day, made my first original cataloging entry! Overlayed into Aleph and updated the holding record with its new call number. Even labeled the book with a barcode sticker and stamped and wrote it all up. I’ll work on a couple more next week, then catalog non-books and hopefully have a look into serials briefly.

Image may contain: text